Tuesday 3 January 2012

Catch-up on the Roof

So I had never seen the "Fiddler on the roof" until this week. OK, when I was 8 I tagged along when my sister's class went to see it at the theatre in Bremen, but I swear I didn't even get it was about Jews.

Which also means that I didn't get that Gwen Stefani's "Rich Girl" is a complete rip-off from Tevye's "If I Were a Rich Man". Which is kind of embarassing.

Yesterday I saw the entire 1971 film on VHS (doing the whole time travelling thing properly) and I couldn't believe how good it is. I also couldn't stop breaking into the "Tradition" opening song for the rest of the day (in appropriate situations). And the bottle dance!

Funnest film I've seen in a long time.


 
Tradition!

 
 Bottle Dance - Wedding Scene

If I Were a Rich Man


Gwen Stefani's pretty fabulous Pirate-of-the-Carribean-Harajuku Girl cover "Rich Girl" (2004)


Also, the entire film may or may not be on YouTube.

2 comments:

  1. Fiddler on the Roof is among the musical classics that has pierced my heart with both sadness and gladness. I loved the dance on the support bars - it's truly magical!


    Freddy Wingfried

    ReplyDelete